Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Double Standards of Girl-Kind

So I was going to think of some witty title but then I got too lazy so you get a nice title that specifically explains the subject of my blog post. How boring is that?
-
I went to a worldview camp called Summit up in Manitou Springs. That's a whole different post. But at Summit we talked a lot about masculinity and femininity. Also, the girls in my class bought this men's panel. So some of the guy staff members served us lemonade and cream puffs and answered some of our questions and oh my goodness it was adorable. In this men's panel and the masculinity/femininity discussion a few points came up frequently. One of them, the one I want to talk about in this post, is the way that girls disrespect guys.
Here's a picture of the Men's Panel in case you cared.....
Now the thought had crossed my mind a few times the past couple years but I'm ashamed to say I never really considered how I disrespect the guys in my life. When I was forced to think about it I found that guys are very hurt by-wait for it- the same things that girls get hurt by. One thing that constantly came up in the discussion was when girls sit around and talk about how attractive such and such celebrity is. It's like we forget that guy celebs are photoshopped and unrealistic just like girls are. Girls get super bothered when guys sit around and talk about Selena Gomez or something but then we sit around them and swoon over whatever guy in whatever movie we just saw. BUT THEN WE EXPECT GUYS TO RESPECT US. WE DON'T RESPECT THEM. WHY SHOULD THEY RESPECT US? I mean not all girls are bothered by this, so I'm sure not all guys are. But it's still really rude to do and I'm sorry if I've ever done that to you.....

Short post this time but I feel like there's nothing left to be said and anything else would just be excess ramblings.
So here's my concluding question(s) that no one ever answers even though I KNOW that people read this blog and have thoughts:
If you're a guy, is there a way that we as girls disrespect you or something that girls do that belittles you or something like that? Or does this even bother you at all?
If you're a girl, what do you think about this?

Much love,
Amanda <3

No comments:

Post a Comment